Wednesday 24 October 2018

Suicide Is Not Your Friend, Elizabeth Is!


I can’t believe I am here now. When there was a time in my life that I couldn’t see myself fitting in anywhere. One good September I sat there and reasoned with myself, there was no other way, I was going to do it. I was done with being unaccepted, criticized and blamed for everything; and even when the weather wasn’t favourable it was my fault that the gods didn’t make it rain.

I was done with life because no one was ever going to love me, everyone saw everything that was wrong with my nature. My inability to open up, my social withdrawals and just the simple fact that I am not perfect and bipolar. And so, I did it, I decided to take my own life, “it is time” I said. I prepared myself mentally and emotionally for my exit in this world, I felt at peace in what I thought was my last moment. I calmly contemplated as I laid my options on the table and weighed in on the best way to do it. I could blast myself, but that would be messy and traumatizing for whoever would find me and my relatives who weren’t going to be able to identify me with a wasted face, I love my dad so much to crush him like that. So I did it the cleanest way possible – it failed!

I spent the next few days recovering and filled with regrets, I didn’t do it right, now I looked weak. It was supposed to be a clean job! But there she was, beautiful with a heart of gold, with so much love in her heart. I wouldn’t call her a friend just yet, but she checked up on me, spoke to me for hours on end. The hours I would have spent contemplating my next suicide she occupied with motivating conversations and she didn’t even know what I was really going through.

In days to come I started to warm up to her, opened up about the darkest parts of my soul, let her in on the heavy pain I carry, the monster that takes over my mind, and the monsters I have come across in my lifetime. We are from different worlds, but the same, so she understood things I said and things I couldn’t say.

See, for the first time I came across someone that gave me genuine love and didn’t judge me. Sometimes I’m a bitch as I fluctuate between episodes, and it still wasn’t enough to push her away. Slowly I started to adjust my thought process, to accommodate her, because a loving person like her doesn’t deserve to always have to understand that this is my nature. It hasn’t been a 100% turn about but the progress has amazed me, made me feel that I am capable of compromise and maybe someday I may even be able to accommodate people the same way I do with her.

She moved from being a stranger to being a friend and eventually went on to graduate as family. This might not mean much to someone reading this, but it means way more to me because I am fully aware of the effort one has to put in just to be able to put up with me. It means so much more to me, knowing that she saw something in me that didn’t allow her to let me drown on my own. She would have gone away at the first sign of me pushing people away but she didn’t, she would’ve gone off when I was really mean because I couldn’t help it, and still she continues to fight by my side.

There are times my mind feels like it’s ready to shut down, and she comes through like a soldier not ready to let the general go down in vain. She is my second in command, my dawg, my bro and we boss the same. We are from different worlds so we operate from different perspectives but get shit done cause we both the same. Yes, she has the same hustle drive and passion as I do, and so we move swiftly.

I feel sorry for y’all without a friend like Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment